[PHOTO] controversial seedling | Wed, 1 May 2002 08:45:31" />

[PHOTO] controversial seedling

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] controversial seedling
  • From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 06:41:19 -0700

This year's Mt Diablo Iris Show was enlivened by a bit of
controversy. Fred Kerr's seedling 971201 won  Best
Seedling. It is a tall bearded iris with six falls, all with nice
beards and accompanied by six style arms but no standards.
Some people feel it is an ugly monstrosity and others think it
is an exquisite beauty. Fortunately the iris world has room for
all tastes.

As for myself, when I looked over the entries as the show on
Sunday, I found my favorite bearded iris was the historic
Dominion. I saw nothing there introduced in the last 85 years
with more lovely blooms. They have good substance, nice
color, and not a hint of waves or ruffles to distract from the
simple beauty of their wonderful artistic lines. However, I
had left my camera at home on Sunday...

Ken Walker
Concord, CA USA
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 14