Re: Growing A. titanum in South Florida

To answer your question about South Florida climatology, I first moved to
Miami in 1949 to study Oceanography.  Later I moved to Naples, Florida,
where I now live.  It is common knowledge that in S. Fla. our rainy season
usually runs from May to December. During this period, however, we have had
prolonged dry spells.  Our traditional dry season takes care of the other
months. The sandy, calcareous soils, found in this area do not retain
moisture very well.  Prolonged dry spells can happen any time of the year.
If you have been watching the news, last year S. Fla. has experienced
numerous large fires, due to lack of rain.  Right now S.W. Florida is under
a severe fire warning period, again because of the dry weather.