Re: Growing A. titanum in South Florida

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Growing A. titanum in South Florida
  • From: SelbyHort@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 09:58:12 -0500 (CDT)

The west coast of Florida is much dryer than the east coast almost any time
of year...but in both places we are now in very severe drought conditions,
almost all the grass is dead unless you water it continuously, which you
can't do legally because SW FL water restrictions now only allow one day per
week, absolutely no car washing or sidewalk washing, and even hand watering
annuals and smaller plants in the yard is also restricted to one day (the
water police are out in Hillsborough county - Tampa - and they have levied
fines up to $500 for non-compliance). River and lake levels are some of the
lowest in many years. Brush fires are a major hazard now. Temperatures are
climbing each day. Generally our rains begin in late May on a regular basis,
but sometimes it is late June before there is enough moisture in the air to
kick in those daily convectional afternoon rains and sometimes it even takes
a late season hurricane or tropical depression to really dump enough rain to
replenish aquifer levels for the next dry season. Indeed, it is now dry and
dusty in SW Florida!

There are similar conditions in S. California each summer, but their
situation is much more critical since we always have more humidity even in
our driest time. Leather, books and almost anything will mold here if you
don't use your air conditioner or at least a de-humidifer year round.

Donna Atwood

<< To add to the South Florida conversation,
 Where did you live that it was dry and dusty?
 When I lived in West Palm Beach (hi Ju-Ju) it would rain every afternoon in
 the summer.
 And the winters weren't all that dry either.
 The leather shoes in my closet got moldy from the humidity!