Re: Anthurium splendidum

In a message dated 3/31/00 10:07:58 PM Central Standard Time,
zzamia@hargray.com writes:

<< Who is the author of A. luxurians and when was it described.  >>
This is a work in progress between Cirino and Croat.

The one Rick found in Colombia is not one that has been seen around as long
as I have been around. It has that corrugatum rough texture and is that light
green but it is not the same bird that we know as corrugatum/High altitude
from Ecuador and for that matter, Colombia. Apparently there is some old
reference to this plant as splendidum, but one would have to ask Rick or Tom
about those details.

If we have not royally confused those who really might like to know, they are
really sharper than those volunteering information.

I wish Dewey would volunteer the story of the thing we have seen and loved
for a long time as Splendidum. I have heard the story of Dewey, Leedy, Cirino
and maybe Tom finding this thing in a collection of a man who would not tell
them from whence it came from. Or maybe just that it came from Colombia, not
sure there. Anyway, it has been around for a long time and it is gorgeous
when grown well. No one said it was easy to grow well though.

These botanists tend to really confuse us amateurs when names get changed and
the details do not seem to match what we thought was. Oh well, that is just
one of those challenges of loving a plant just for itself no matter what it
is called. This thing we know as Splendidum is just one of those plants. It
is beautiful and unique and wonderful and a bitch to grow. I think I have
heard reference to females in this light.