Re: Anthurium wendlingeri

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 15:54:15 -0500 (CDT)
Sender: aroid-l@mobot.org
From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
To: aroid-owner@mobot.org
Subject: Re: Anthurium wendlingeri

Dear Geoff:
I've never seen an A. wendlingerii seedlings being offered for sale... only pieces of jungle collected material. I would assume&nbsp; it is not one of those which readily set seed without some outside jiggering. Either the conditions are not right for pollination or there are not enough&nbsp; plants together in one place for the male and female flowers to get together in the&nbsp; appropriate time frame or maybe it needs to be manually pollinated since the insect pollinator is not available. I am sure someone else may have a different opinion than I on this subject.
Denis at Silver Krome.
GeoffAroid@aol.com wrote:
Hi all, can anyone tell me if Anthurium wendlingeri sets seed regularly? Reason I ask is I see it in collections from time to time but never in berry, I think it is such a beautiful species and am desperate to get hold of one - either berry or small plant. Such plants are real hard to come by here in rainy old Britain where aroids are very thin on the ground. Cant offer much in exchange except I get loads of berries on my A. trinerve (members may remember I distributed this very widely a couple of years ago) and on A. scandens (white berried form). Of course I would be happy to cover any costs if someone has this species to offer.
Many thanks, Geoffrey Kibby - Geoffaroid@aol.com London, UK