Re: Fungus gnats

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Fungus gnats
  • From: "Bonaventure W Magrys" <magrysbo@shu.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 20:47:24 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks! I especially liked the one about the beneficial nematodes. Can they
"crowd out" the tuber infecting kind?
My problem is I think that I placed a ~1" layer of cow manure at the bottom of
the pot, then several inches of soil (very rich with other orgenic matter),
depending on the size of the pot, the tuber, and more soil. This eliminates
those pesky roots that come out of the drainage hole and wander around the
dish, or worse dry up, or extremely bad - nothing worse than lifting a pot up
off the ground after several days and finding that you have torn some roots
The plants are very vigorous (3' high triphyllums and 4' high consanguineum and
cons-types, and a taiwanensis built like granite) and the roots go down to the
zone where they can feed and be comfortable but do not pass it (yet). So far I
dont think I have gnat damage but always seeing 1 to 3 hovering around a
pot and
on the top of the medium advises caution and prudent action.
I don't think I tried diazinon as a drench. Off to Home Depot!

Scott Hyndman <hyndman@aroid.org> on 04/02/2000 09:03:55 PM
Please respond to aroid-l@mobot.org