Re: A. titanum ???

I would have to dig back in the records to find out more about this name
mix-up, but it was certainly not a deceptive act...I am sure that the source
of the corms sincerely believed that they were Amorphophallus titanum. We
have to be thankful for all the recent Amorphophallus papers and discussion
that have taught us more about this genus. This kind of information was
simply not available in the early 1980's.

Donna Atwood
Selby Gardens

<<  It appears that I almost certainly have Amorphophallus
 paeoniifolius (at least not A. titanum). My botanist friend, source of my
 present plant, doesn't remember the source of her tubers.  Your information
 concerning a S. Florida source mislabeling their corms is most interesting.
 I received my first two plants by mail in 1980.  The instructions stated
 that after the plants bloomed, the corms rotted.  According the
 instructions, the dark bumps on the bottom of the corm should be cut out,
 air dried, then planted to produce new plants. I did this with one of my
 plants and did get a couple of new ones.  The other corm evidently did not
 read the instructions and resprouted anyway. >>