Re: Fungus gnats

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Fungus gnats
  • From: Tim & Mary McNinch <Newton@coiinc.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 20:05:30 -0500 (CDT)

For those who choose NOT to use chemicals for gnats...

I live where winters will kill ALL so I must bring ALL my green living things
inside if I plan on keeping any of them. During the winter of 1998/1999, I had
the most pesky gnat problem and could not get rid of them for all the
tea...bla, bla. (4"-6" due tomorrow night. Go figure?)

Last fall, I brought ALL my plants indoors and promptly sprinkled the soil
surfaces with cinnamon powder. I could count the gnats I had this last winter
on one hand. Now there may have been other circumstances, but I know I used
cinnamon. I am a believer. As for fungicide, I have used it now for 4-5 years
and have warded off many problems with over winter storage of tubers.

Tim McNinch
No. IL, USDA Zone 4b