stem cuttings on Anthuriums

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: stem cuttings on Anthuriums
  • From: "Michael Pascall" <mpascall@eisa.net.au>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:15:53 -0500 (CDT)

If you want to be certain not to lose the stem, the best way is to lay the
plant on its side ! I know this sounds difficult, but severing the head can
cause the whole stem to die !!!! This happened to me with a very nice Anth.
I bought on a bus trip with an Orchid Soc.Many members wanted a cutting,and
with 2' of stem I thought I could get a few plants propagated, but I should
have waited until warmer weather. I took the cuttings in Autumn,the base
that I left in the original pot , rotted almost straight away, and the stem
that I cut into 4 x 6" bits took 5-6 months to slowly pass away . The crown

Re-pot the plant into the largest pot you can find/afford. Trim dead and old
roots, remembering that you want the stem to lay on the media, not in it !A
half to one inch layer of sphagnum moss on the surface will ensure new roots
do not dessicate.
If the stem is very long, you could chop off  2-3" chunks until a manageable
size is achieved. Then use the same method for the cuttings, but keeping
more roots on them. I have got 4 plants from a chunk of Anth.corrugatum stem
over a 2 year span !

When removing plants from the old stem i wait until at least 3 roots have
formed,and they all have a bit of length to them.
This is an old orchid growers hint,for  when removing 'keiki's' from Vandas.
Michael Pascall