optimizing Amorphophallus growth

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: optimizing Amorphophallus growth
  • From: Lester Kallus <lkallus@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 16:50:41 -0500 (CDT)

Will an amorphophallus grow appreciably better planted directly in the
ground than it does in a pot?  I picked up a 4" paeoniifolius tuber while
visiting Selby last week and want it to grow the most possible over this
next growing season.  What's best for it?

The trade offs are:
In the ground it will have unlimitted root growth.  It's a high compost
soil mix that can be fertilized in any way the plant wants.  The problem
though is that once late September comes around, evening temperatures will
begin to drop significantly.  In mid October, nights will begin to dip in
the 40s.

In a pot, I could bring it into the greenhouse whenever it would be
recommended.  Unfortunately, it would be going from a sunny location to
open shade since my greenhouse gets direct sunlight only when the oak
leaves are down.  Also, it might not be able to get quite so much sunlight
in a pot as it would in the soil.

So - what's best?