Alocasias, Colocasias and Frost?

  • Subject: Alocasias, Colocasias and Frost?
  • From: Paul Tyerman <tyerman@dynamite.com.au>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:36:40 -0500 (CDT)

Howdy All,

I've been away at the coast this last weekend and succumbed to a couple of
frost tender (as far as I know) aroids.

I purchased Alocasia 'Amazon Queen' and Colocasia 'Black Magic'.  Now I get
frost fairly heavily here in Canberra (down to -6 to -8'C in winter) so I
figure these are not going to be happy outside here.

When I bought them I was told that they could be dried indoors during
winter, or put in a very sheltered place where there leaves were not hit by
frost.  I thought that someone out there would know for sure what they
require during winter.

Could someone please tell me whether they will survive frost?  If not, do I
dry the pot and put it in my garage for winter?  Do I knock the tubers out
of the pot and dry them for winter?  Do I keep the pot inside but keep it
in water?  Do I just tell myself I was an idiot and that they're going to
die now?

Any information would be appreciated.

BTW.... if any aussies are interested, I have a number of offsets of the
Amazon Queen that are available if wanted.  They have spread healthily out
of the pot and depending what the suggestions are I'll probably be potting
them up.

Thank in anticipation.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia.  USDA equivalent - Zone 8

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Lilium, Aroids, plus
just about anything else that doesn't move!!!!!