Re: Alocasias, Colocasias and Frost?

  • Subject: Re: Alocasias, Colocasias and Frost?
  • From: "van den Bergh" <bergh@tpg.com.au>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:16:16 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Paul,
Here's one Aussie that wants to enquire after A. Amazon Queen do you know if
it is different from A. amazonica IF so can I put my hands up for an offset.
I have C. Black Magic and could have sent you an offset, never mind if you
lose it I always have it.
You may want to try a couple of other Alocasias and Colocasias when the
weather warms up so I can send some later if you are interested and don't
have any.
I have had a brief look at your list and am desperately anxious to obtain a
small tuber of Amorphophallus abyssinicus if you ever have a spare. Also any
arisaema tubers at all as I only have seeds and am not sure how succesful
they are proving to be with survival after germination, a tuber may stand a
better chance. Also I would like to try arums of any kind. I did notice some
other bits and pieces of non aroid things, but I first want to interest you
in some things you might want to trade and try down there, before I get
carried away!!!
So far I have offered the A. bulbifer tubers and the typhonium would you be
interested in branching out into a few of the more hardy gingers or other
stuff, like a native tacca that goes dormant for the winter.
I reckon you had better keep your alocasia inside the house dryish in a pot
if it dies down. The colocasia might not mind being kept dryish in the
garage in a pot. Obviously I don't know much about frost so someone else may
give you a better answer.