Re: Alocasias, Colocasias and Frost?

  • Subject: Re: Alocasias, Colocasias and Frost?
  • From: Bob Burns <bobburns61@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 21:26:32 -0500 (CDT)

About the frost hardiness...
    I've grown both colocasia and alocasia, though of
undetermined species, in our US Zone 8 climate (with
winter minimum down to at least -10C for short
Ideally the plants would be of mature size before
expecting them to survive well, and not too soggy as
cold comes on.  Frequently a large Alocasia will not
recover its main growing point after a hard winter but
will send up small shoots from the sides, forming a
clump of smaller plants that might take a few years to
reach blooming size.  I have only had an Alocasia
bloom once or twice in this climate in ten years.
     If you decide to pot them, remember not to keep
them really wet if they must endure coolness.  Some
kinds have a rhizome but others, the Colocasias I'm
thinking of, sometimes don't, or at least not till
they are quite big.
                       Bob Burns
                         Macon, Georgia, USA

Do You Yahoo!?