Re: Help on Lysichiton secreted substance

  • Subject: Re: Help on Lysichiton secreted substance
  • From: Sue Thompson <sthomp@andrew.cmu.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:37:33 -0500 (CDT)

Check out the following article for more information:

Pellmyr, O. and J.M. Patt. 1986. Function of olfactory and visual stimuli
in pollination of Lysichiton americanum (Araceae) by a staphylinid.
Madrono 33:47-54.

It discusses chemical composition of the odor as I recall.

--On Sunday, April 22, 2001, 9:35 PM -0500 Scott Hyndman
<hyndman@aroid.org> wrote:

> Does anyone on the list have any ideas that could help out Kevin with a
> Lysichton americanum question per the note below?  Please reply to the
> list so that all can learn, or to Kevin directly.
> Many thanks,  Scott
> ---------------------
> Mr. Scott Hyndman
> International Aroid Society Web Site
> Vero Beach, Florida, USA
> USDA Hardiness Zone 10a
> E-mail:  hyndman@aroid.org
> on 4/22/01 2:50 PM, Kevin Carrabine at kcarrab@home.com wrote:
> Mr Hyndman,
> A shot in the dark request...have you any idea of the name of the specific
> substance secreted by western Skunk Cabbage (Lysichoton americanum) that
> gives it the sickly sweet smell?  I am helping a friend's son on a school
> science project and we have, through the help of a horticulturalist
> friend, determined that is probably some amine or indole, but we would
> like to try to discover the specific chemical/substance, if known.

Sue Thompson, Ph.D.
Interim Executive Director
Pennsylvania Biodiversity Partnership
P.O. Box 60071