Re: Amorph abyssinicus/A. konjac.

  • Subject: Re: Amorph abyssinicus/A. konjac.
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:34:45 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Wilbert Hetterscheid <hetter@worldonline.nl>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Sunday, April 29, 2001 10:24 PM

Dear Friends,

I do not blame Wilbert on this one!   Here in HOT Florida the 'regular' A.
konjac does NOT grow well, but as you would expect, a 'warmth loving' clone
has showed up, and is/was available from 'Plantnut', Dewey Fisk!!!   As I
said, this species is cultivated as FOOD in a wide geographical area, so we
can expect lots of cultivars/different behaviors/blooming times, but all of
these cultivars should look almost exactly the same whenever/whereever  they

>>Lord Phallus has fallen silent on this one. Yes, there must be several
cultivars going around in the world although until recently mostly only one
with a largely dark green petiole and only few pale pinkish spots and some
white punctiform dots. Today, with the influx of material from China, we may
indeed expect other cultivars with different behaviour. Unfortunately I have
no relevant literature describing cultivars of A. konjac.