Re: [aroid-l] Symplocarpus

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Symplocarpus
  • From: "Petra Schmidt" <petra@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:44:21 -0400

I've seen it growing like weeds along a creek near my home town in
Wisconsin, Rand...the creek floods each spring but is otherwise narrow and
shallow; the land has been owned for years by a gun club so plants are
pretty much safe and have been growing nicely over the years.  There's also
a huge old colony over near Muckwanago (private land as well) growing along
the boggy shores of a lake there.  You can't quite canoe into the colony and
walking in the muck is impossible...I'll bet there's dinasoar bones in the
depths of those skunk cabbage roots!
In Minnesota, I've seen them growing in wooded low swampy areas as well; the
S. nipponicum is also hardy there.