Re: [aroid-l] Symplocarpus

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Symplocarpus
  • From: "Peter Boyce" <peterboyce@myjaring.net>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:23:44 +0800

Hi Brian

I'm afraid I don't have pictures of S. renifolius that I can send (only some
slides and I don't posses a slide scanner). I grew it from seed that I got
from Moscow B.G. in the early 90's but left it behind when I left the UK. It
is a distinct species with kidney-shaped leaves. It should be perfectly
hardy in Zone 6 - where I saw it in Korea winter temperatures reach -20 C (-
4 F) and summers 35 C (95 F) so it's nothing if no tough!

For interest the symplocarpus species are:

Symplocarpus foetidus (L.)Salisb. (USA)
Symplocarpus nabekuraensis Otsuka & K.Inoue (N Japan)
Symplocarpus nipponicus Makino (Japan)
Symplocarpus renifolius Schott ex Tzvelev (widesperad through E Russia, N
China, and the Koreas)