Re: [Aroid-l] Arum lily (reed) frog

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Arum lily (reed) frog
  • From: "Steve Ritchey" sritchey@shreve.net
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:28:16 -0600

Title: Arum lily (reed) frog
Hi Emily,
This doesn't only happen in Africa. Z. aethiopica is in  full flower here now, not minding the light frosts.  Our native "Tree Frogs", what I believe to be Litoria caerula (only mine have black stripes surrounded in white that I have never seen in photos of the species) turn  from lime green to a chalky white whether nestled in  a Zant spathe or climbing the stuccoed walls of my house.

I guess they are lying in wait to gobble up the first pollenator to visit the spadix. It's hard to imagine these litttle 5 cm. frogs eating the Yellow Jacket wasps that are the main pollenators here, but either that, or they just hang in there for the occasisional fly or gnat during warms spells.

Also, really enjoyed the last IAS newsletter.  After spending most of my adult life travelling for an oil company, I like good writing that makes me feel like I wuz there without ever! getting on a plane :-)

Steve
USDA Zone 7b NE TX