Re: [Aroid-l] Arum lily (reed) frog

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Arum lily (reed) frog
  • From: "Steve Ritchey" sritchey@shreve.net
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 18:49:54 -0500

It turned too cool for the wasps to be out on the callas this weekend, but had plenty of small flies. The instant one lands on the spathe, the frogs' eyes open and zap!- lunch. Then they close their eyes and become virtually invisible again. They either can't detect the flies landing on the spadix behind them or just ignore them til another one lands directly in front of them on the spathe.

I have some aethiopica 'Kiwi Blush' getting ready to flower. It will be interesting to see if they can match this spathe color, or just stay green parked on the leaves.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>