[Aroid-l] RE Self- pollination of bisexual aroids

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] RE Self- pollination of bisexual aroids
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 14:45:40 +0000

Dear Friends,

I need your help on this one----fairly recently there was a post when it seemed like just about every Botanical Garden was having a Amorphophallus titanum coming in to bloom, and most of the discussions were about the availability of matching pollen, the chilling/freezing of pollen, etc. This particular post, however, described a method whereby the male flowers of this particular single bloom were dissected and the unripe pollen collected, something was done to mature this pollen prematurely, and then a few days later, when the bloom opened and the female flowers were at anthesis, the prematurely gathered and 'artifically' matured (?) pollen was applied to the female flowers, thereby actually succesfully doing self-pollination to this one RARE bisexual bloom, I believe that viable seed were produced using this method!
For those less informed, a bisexual aroid bloom (like all species of Amorphophallus, Caladium, Xanthosoma, etc.) usually has the female flowers receptive upon opening, and a couple days/hours later, only when the female flowers are dry and no longer receptive is the pollen produced, this strategy is thought to prevent self-pollination, not a 'good' thing in most cases according to mother nature.

OK!!!!!! I need some kind soul to send me this method, or to research the IAL mail archives and PLEASE re-post send me this information!

Thanks in advance,

Jullius
ju-bo@msn.com