RE: [Aroid-l] aroidiphyllic frogs

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] aroidiphyllic frogs
  • From: Peter Matthews pjm@gol.com
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:14:14 +0900

Title: RE: [Aroid-l] aroidiphyllic frogs
Dear Deni and others,

In Japan, where taro is widely cultivated but not native, it is common in the wet season (spring/early summer) to see small green frogs perched on taro leaves. Taro has to be given lots of water through the dry end of summer, so it is natural for frogs to congregate in the vicinity, even though the habitat is entirely synthetic.

Peter

The reference I gave in my book Aroids - Plants of the Arum Family is Whitfield, P., ed. 1984. Longman Illustrated Animal Encyclopaedia.  I don't have anything more scientific.  As a matter of interest, when peering into the open spathe of a Typhonodorum inflorescence in Madagascar recently, I saw a perfectly camouflaged yellow and white frog nestled between the white spathe and yellow spadix - obviously a different species from the one in S Africa but suggesting that this topic might indeed be an interesting piece of research.

Hope this helps.  Would be interested to hear if you uncover more info, as after plants (and aroids in particular), my main interest is amphibians.

Deni Bown