RE: [Aroid-l] Mr Merkel

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Mr Merkel
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 10:22:09 +0000

>From: Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net>
>To: 'Discussion of aroids' <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
>Subject: [Aroid-l] Mr Merkel
>Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:48:21 -0400

Dear All,

Brian, thanks for the news. We of the IAS have truly lost a living treasure in the passing of Albert Merkle. I was at his nursery just late last week, spoke at length w/ his daughter, she told me that he had dozed off and had fallen out of his chair, and as a precaution they had admitted him to a hospital for tests and a head MRI, he was OK, but they kept him in bed for over 3 days at the hospital, and I guess this was just too long a time for him at his advanced age, when he tried to get out of bed he could no longer walk, and I guess his body began to shut down. We shall miss his presence terribly.
Goodby, my friend Albert Merkle.

I just got some very sad news. Mr Merkel passed away yesterday he
>was 94 years old. I remember visiting his small nursery many times
>on my florida trips. It was always a pleasure to stop in and see
>him. He took extremely good care of his plants and had sold me many
>of the plants that now make up my collection today. Each time he
>would take me through his collection and show me what he had been
>propagating and selling. I seemed to have a good eye for his mother
>plants or plants he was not willing to sell. But I always left with
>a box full of new aroids and plants. I will miss the visits and the
>talks as well as his booth at the aroid show.
>Aroid-l mailing list

Aroid-l mailing list