Re: [Aroid-l] Mr Merkel

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Mr Merkel
  • From: Betsy Feuerstein ecuador@midsouth.rr.com
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:23:05 -0500

Years ago it used to Alberts and Merkell if my memory has not totally failed me. Gene did have a brother who died several years ago and who was in the business with Gene. Gene used to come to the Aroid Shows in September every year and carry some of his old time favorites. If he had not propagated one kind, that was the one everyone wanted. He was a genuine plant person who loved his plants. And yes, all of us have our stories about wanting something and it was not available............. that was the routine. He is of a breed that rarely exists any more. He will be dearly missed by those of us who remember from the old place to the new place to the shows.

Betsy

Russ wrote:
RE: [Aroid-l] Mr Merkel
I knew his name was Gene, folks,  just an unthoughtful error.  I think he had a partner named Alberts at one time.
Anyway, think you missed my question regarding plans for his nursery.  I understand from one source that the
nursery will not close, at least for the near future.  Anyone heard any different?

Russ