Re: [Aroid-l] Zantedeschia

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Zantedeschia
  • From: Tony Avent tony@plantdelights.com
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 08:06:18 -0400

Eric:

	FYI...I have just returned from an expedition to South Africa and we saw
quite a bit of Zantedeschia aethiopica growing in the wild.  I had expected
to find it growing in bogs, but instead found it in high elevation rock
cracks, many of which were quite dry.  Occasionally we found it in areas of
moist soil, but nothing that would nearly approach boggy conditions.

At 01:13 PM 4/7/2005 -0700, you wrote:

>We planted several cultivars and hybrids out last
>spring here at Leu Gardens in Orlando,FL. We planted
>them in our Bog Garden. The soil is very mucky and
>soggy all year, there is standing water for several
>days after a hard rain. These are the ones that have
>come back up so far and flowering now;
>
>Z. aethiopica 'Childsiana'
>Z. aethiopica 'Green Goddess'
>Z. 'White Giant'