RE: [Aroid-l] xanthosoma atrovirens albomarginata

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] xanthosoma atrovirens albomarginata
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 09:44:29 +0000

From : 	john s smolowe <johnssmolowe@pacbell.net>
Sent : 	Sunday, April 2, 2006 8:41 PM
To : 	aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] xanthosoma atrovirens albomarginata

Dear John,

From what I`ve observed here in our S. Florida climate where some growers do
fantastic work with this plant, grow them in a well-draining 'jungle mix during its growing period (at least 8 months) keep it warm during the day (85 degs plus) and around 70 at night) don`t let the soil dry out completely, keep it very moist but NOT soggy, keep the air humidity HIGH (spider-mites LOVE this plant, and will appear if grown in a g/house or under cover with no REGULAR misting), fert. 'weekly, weakly", and watch it take off. It will NOT do well if kept in a 'dry' air green house or under cover without regular misting, almost 100 % humidity at ALL times, spider mites will kill it.
By the way, no one seems to know for certain what the correct name is for this 'species', Dr. Eduardo Goncalves in Brazil is working on identification of the cultivated Xanthosomas.
I hope these tips help.

Good Luck and Good Growing.

Julius

thanks steve and lynn! but isn't your advice almost exactly opposite? i can grow it in the ground (or a soil mix that simulates the ground), or i can grown it in a porous mix, ie a cactus or epiphyte mix; but these would be very different.
for example, i have potting soil and pumice that i use for my cacti and succulents. that would be a sandy-type soil. i have bark, tree fern & charcoal that i use for my orchids and bromeliads. both of those have high drainage. the ground here grows several kinds of colocasias quite well. but a) i am zone 8 and don't know if x atrovirens albomarginata is hardy in zone 8, and b) in the ground certainly would get soggy at times.

from the advice, one might think this plant tolerates a wide range of growing conditions, but, hey, not for me. so far i can't grow it in any conditions despite repeated tries.

does anyone else have guidance?

best,

john smolowe
menlo park, ca

The Xanthosoma atrovirens albomarginata is one of my favorites. Mainly they seem to like a sandy soil without a lot of organic content that can get soggy and they like to dry out quite a bit between watering. They are most reliable in raised beds here. During spring flooding or summer hurricanes they can stay too wet,causing the roots to die back to the tuber and the tops to die back, but then they recover, reroot, and start growing again as it dries up.

I grew up on the peninsula and the p. verrucosum is definitely much easier there than in Texas.

Steve

if it's possible in your climate, put it in the ground. it will get huge and beautiful.

lynn

the aroid i keep killing is xanthosoma atrovirens albomarginata. buy it, kill it, buy it kill it. i'm thinking of buying another, so any tips would be appreciated.

john smolowe
menlo park, ca.