[Aroid-l] Fw: Momma aroid

Hello,

Please take a look at this page - the pictures are large and may take a little while to load.

This is the Dracunculus vulgaris I grew some little ones from, using information Nancy in Tennessee gave me last fall. I have about a dozen babies (each a single leaf) which look healthy. There are also a lot of healthy looking sprouts without leaves.

The momma plant resides in some bushes in a grocery store's parking lot. It's by the recycling bins. It must have been part of  a Victorian cottage garden as I've found some very simple irises there, too, in the bushes.  I imagine it's been noticed by other gardeners, but I've gotten permission to remove it.

Ideally, when would be the best time of the year to dig it up?

And what can I expect to find under the soil? How deep is the bulb, and how wide?  Will there be a tap root?

I've never cared for an aroid before, but this darlin' needs a better home, and I really want to give it one here. I'd appreciate any advice---my current plan, now that I've finally acquired a shovel, is to get up early after we finally get an evening of spring rain and go dig it up, carefully. It's already got about 2 feet of top growth.

Thank you for any responses,

Karin in London

E-mail message checked by PC Tools Spyware Doctor (5.0.0.179)
Database version: 5.07080
http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/