RE: [Aroid-l] Fw: Momma aroid

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Fw: Momma aroid
  • From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <crogers@ecoanalysts.com>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:43:09 -0700

Your Dracunculus can be dug up right after the plant goes dormant. Wait for the above ground portion to die and fall over. It must have fallen over. Then if you can pull the dead portion off with a gentle tug, the tuber will be ready to dig up. And that is the answer to your other question: it has a large subspherical tuber, not a taproot. Upon exhuming your tuber, you will want to take it home and clean it up. Remove any left over roots and dead bits, being especially careful not to damage the apical meristem (the bit from which the new foliage will arise). The plant can then be stored dry and dormant until the next autumn.

Good luck!

D. Christopher Rogers

Invertebrate Ecologist/Taxonomist

EcoAnalysts, Inc.

(530) 406-1178

166 Buckeye Street

Woodland CA 95695 USA

Invertebrate Taxonomy

● Invertebrate Ecological Studies

● Bioassessment and Study Design

● Endangered Invertebrate Species

● Zooplankton

● Periphyton/ Phytoplankton

Moscow, ID ● Bozeman, MT ● Woodland, CA ● Neosho, MO ● Selinsgrove, PA