[Aroid-l] Little Rock Zoo

Got a request for you all!

I just spent several days with the management of the Little Rock Zoo.  They are beginning the planning process to build a very nice rain forest under glass including endangered animals.  Lots of planning to be done so not much I can tell you about that one just yet other than I will be involved in the planning and implementation, or at least I've been led to believe I will.  I made a pretty "crazy" thirty page proposal which was very well received by a good contingent of the staff and management.  A professional zoo design group will be involved.

In the meantime, I've been asked to offer help and advice on the improvement of the current rain forest exhibit.  This one is not large and my guess is it is approximately 1500 square feet with a 25 foot ceiling.  This exhibit has a constant high humidity and a stable temperature year round.  It houses a few species of birds in free flight, but nothing that will destroy the plants.  The only birds that might damage anything are not allowed to fly free but are in a separate very large cage.  They have lots of space for both climbing and running plants due to a large number of large pieces of timber and some living trees in the exhibit.  We have already begun attaching bromeliads to a lot of these logs and trees.  I am going back in two weeks to take as many plants as possible for them to plant.  The exhibit also has running water and pools throughout the exhibit.

If you would be willing to help out with any extra specimens you have available to donate, I'd sure appreciate the help.  I would not recommend anything truly rare, just species that will climb quickly or grow large fairly quick such as good size alocasia species. I'm donating a bunch of species including Philodendron gloriosum, Philodendron mamei, Philodendron smithii, Philodendron hederaceum, Colocasia esculente, and a bunch of other vining plants.  But since they have so much space and so few plants so far, anything would be very helpful.  Unpotted cuttings would be most appreciated since they have a staff horticulturist and I'm certain he can get them potted and growing good before planting.

If you want to put a value on it send that to me along with the box and I'll do my best to get you a receipt for tax purposes.

If the project I'm proposing gets off and running we'll be looking for a lot of plants to purchase!!  And I mean a lot!  I've proposed building 6 very large domed buildings to simulate the Guiana Shield, Brazil, Western South America including Peru, Ecuador and Colombia, then Central America topped off with Polynesia and SE Asia and finally Africa.  If this gets done it will be one of the largest rain forest exhibits in North America!  The city has built a brand new baseball field downtown and the current Arkansas Traveler's stadium is right next to the zoo.  They are hoping to have that land donated to the zoo and that is where I've proposed we build this exhibit.

Let me know if you can help.  I'll be going back one week from this coming Friday with the plants.  Just about anything would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve Lucas
214 E. Franklin St.
Siloam Springs, AR 72761