RE: [Aroid-l] Spider Mites

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Spider Mites
  • From: "Michael Marcotrigiano" <mmarcotr@email.smith.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:46:20 -0400

30% is low in full sun. Can he put a mister on the plants? Wetting the
mites down interupts them too so hosing down foliage may help. We rarely
see mites in our conservatory but it runs about 60% humidity all the
time and in summer it can go to 80%.
Mealybugs on the other hand are not so fussy so we get them on old
plants.

_______________________________

Michael Marcotrigiano, Ph.D
Smith College, Lyman Conservatory, College Lane
Northampton, MA 01063
email: mmarcotr@smith.edu
voice: 413-585-2741; fax: 413-585-2744
www.smith.edu/garden
Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky,
We fell them down and turn them into paper,
That we may record our emptiness.
~ Kahlil Gibran
>>> "D. Christopher Rogers" <crogers@ecoanalysts.com> 04/25/07 4:30 PM

Hello, Michael!

Thanks for the input. Can you define "low humidity"? His greenhouse runs
between 30% during the day and 80% at night.

Christopher

D. Christopher Rogers
Invertebrate Ecologist/Taxonomist
((,///////////=====<

EcoAnalysts, Inc.
(530) 406-1178
166 Buckeye Street
Woodland CA 95695 USA

● Invertebrate Taxonomy
● Invertebrate Ecological Studies
● Bioassessment and Study Design
● Endangered Invertebrate Species
● Zooplankton
● Periphyton/ Phytoplankton

Moscow, ID ● Bozeman, MT ● Woodland, CA ● Neosho, MO ● Selinsgrove, PA
www.ecoanalysts.com

They like low humidity. That is one of the main reasons they build up.
There are chemical miticides if he is not the "organic" type.

_______________________________

Michael Marcotrigiano, Ph.D
Smith College, Lyman Conservatory, College Lane
Northampton, MA 01063
email: mmarcotr@smith.edu
voice: 413-585-2741; fax: 413-585-2744
www.smith.edu/garden
Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky,
We fell them down and turn them into paper,
That we may record our emptiness.
~ Kahlil Gibran

>>> "D. Christopher Rogers" <crogers@ecoanalysts.com> 4/25/2007 3:08 PM

Howdy,

Anyone have a good method for dealing with spider mites? The keep
popping up
in my friend's greenhouse. They really seem to like Amorphophallus,
Xanthosoma, Alocasia, and Colocasia, ignoring everything else. He has
been
using neem oil, but it seems to kill off leaves. He went to a weaker
concentration, which knocks down the mites immediately and saves the
leaves,
but even after spraying twice a day for two weeks, they just pop right
back
up. They appear to be the two-spotted spider mite.

Thank you in advance,

www.ecoanalysts.com <http://www.ecoanalysts.com/>