RE: [Aroid-l] Spider Mites

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Spider Mites
  • From: "Denis Rotolante" <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:52:51 -0400

The predator mites are definitly one way to go...we have been using them
to controll the mites in our Calathea house for many years. For years we
could hardly controll mites in the Calathea House without spraying every
one to two weeks. Now the mites are not a problem.
We spread new cultures of predator mites them every two weeks just in
case they can not reproduce in our hot summer temperatures or they run
out of mites to eat. The one problem is that when you spray for other
insect pests you must use pesticides that have little or no residual
(ie. Cygon) as the long term chemicals (ie. Talstar) can effect the
predators ability to survive.

Denis
Silver Krome Gardens