Re: [Aroid-l] Fungus gnats

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Fungus gnats
  • From: Ryan Wachtl <ryanwachtl@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 16:17:01 -0700 (PDT)

No argument here that these are definatley a nuisance.  It is in my experience that fungus gnat larva can potentially damage the small root hairs on plants.  They mostly feed on organic matter and this may include at times roots of the plants in the soil too.  I have seen some heavy fungus gnat infections lead to an overall decline in plant health and vigor.  These infections were also associated with elevated levels of soil water saturation and that can contribute to root - further fueling the infestation.
Ryan Wachtl
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
Plant Biology-Human Biology