[Aroid-l] Fungus Gnats

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Fungus Gnats
  • From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 18:22:25 -0700 (PDT)

The adults are only annoying, especially if you happen to inhale one.  The larvae on the other hand are quite destructive.  I lost entire flats of fern prothalli, and newly germinated seedlings from very small seeds before I realized what was doing the damage.  They chew the root hairs and small roots right off the plants!

Sheldon Hatheway
Canby, OR zone 7b (I think)