[Aroid-l] Drowning Fungus Gnats

In case anyone is interested, I don't think fungus gnat larvae can survive immersion in water. As a grower of the aquatic and semi-aquatic Cryptocoryne aroids, I often see infestations of these guys in wet, but not submerged soils. If this happens and I care to do something, I find that raising the water level above the soil for a few days does the trick. After that, the water level can be lowered again and the gnats are gone. This also works for mites and aphids and whatnot critters that breathe air.

Of course, for those of you in the majority that grow species sensitive to water immersion, this won't work. You should switch to Cryptocoryne.

Aroid-l mailing list