Re: [Aroid-l] Philo. seed from S. America

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Philo. seed from S. America
  • From: Victor Soukup <soukupvg@email.uc.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:10:00 -0400

Julius,
I am very glad that you have opened this question because I also was a participant in the Philodendron sp seed purchase from Alvim Seidel. However, as you and most others by this time, know, I am hardly a grower. I wanted the seeds for my study of the acids of the seed lipids of Araceae, and this seemed like a good way to get many species analyzed. The seeds I used were all shared with others --- I used only seed from packets which others were to grow. The analyses went very well and most of the seed gave very very similar (identical ?) results. At first this seemed very good but after the first time that someone raised a question about the true identity of the seeds, it became evident that my results were fine for showing the very close similarity of the seed lipid acids in the genus but they couldn't be related to species. Now however, if some of the growers who played with these seeds can relate certain ones to the real names, my data may be more useful than I had thought. So, if those who played with these seeds had success in germinating and growing-on the plants to identifiable names, which can be related back to the names under which the seeds were obtained, I would very much like to hear from you. It would be very helpful.

Warm regards,

Vic

Victor G. Soukup PhD
Herbarium