Re: St. Paul tiny titan

  • Subject: Re: St. Paul tiny titan
  • From: KATHY UPTON <ku5@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:22:21 -0700 (PDT)

Bernhard and Julius,
The photo that Susan had is from 2001 and was a more "normal" flowering than the little one in 1998.  The little one had a powerful stench and someone suggested that a tiny one might need to have a  giant smell to accomplish its goal, but for whatever reason it smelled like a combination of sauerkraut, a rotting animal, and trash sitting outside in a dumpster in the sun that had been there a week.  On the night that it opened at my house, we were sleeping with the attic fan on, and the smell carried right upstairs to us.   The smell given off by the 2001 inflorescence was disappointing compared to that.   You asked about the size of them now.  The largest one from that seed batch has a leaf about 10 feet tall, and 25 pounds.  The 2 that bloomed are near that size.  I haven't always had the space available that they deserve and haven't always been able to move them up into the large pot sizes they would really love over the years, so actually they are probably small compared to those at other institutions that received the same seed.  But they are healthy and have formed offsets, too, at times when I let one occasionally get too crowded in its pot.

"StroWi@t-online.de" <StroWi@t-online.de> wrote:
Hi Kathy,

nice to read that your tiny titan is fine (and I hope you as well) .

Two more questions:

Could you decribe the odor that maybe woke you up?
( I am still terrified when I think of my first albus flowering in my
wintergarden. A mixture of sewage and rendering.Now they are only
allowed to flower outside....)
The people in the Botanical Garden in Bonn, Germany mentioned that
titanum is not that bad and has a sort of fishy odor (but I forgot to
ask how old that fish was....).

What is the size of the tuber and leaf after ten years now?

Happy growing,