Re: Petiole Shortening

Bernhard,

I forwarded your comments on to Jim and was glad to find you think, as I do, that the effect might be reversible. That would be an elegant experiment that would prove that this is a physical characteristic of the plant.

As far as the normal shortening (or lengthening) of petioles and internodes and such in response to light, my feeling is that this applies to new growth. Does anyone know otherwise? This is a different case than that, and it has me puzzled.

Ted.

Ted,
being far from wise, just some short remarks.
My favourite would be the light quality, e.g. the spectrum of the different flourescent tubes.
Try to get the technical details.
I would suspect that the new light has more blue in it's spectrum and blue light is known to shorten plants (internodes, petioles etc.).
In addition flourescent tubes "age", they loose in respect to light intensity (and maybe the spectrum is altered as well). You allready suspected that light intensity plays a role and higher light intensities shorten plants as well. The new tube will probably have an higher light intensity compared to the old one, let alone that they might have the same power consumption.
A last important factor that leads to short plants is UV light. However, I do not suspect that the new flourescent tube emmits UV, but the details of the spectrum should show this, too.
And yes, I guess you can revert the pant habitus by going back to the old light conditions.
Hope this helps,
Bernhard.