Re: Amorphophallus Titanum problems

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus Titanum problems
  • From: ronmchatton@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:05:57 -0400

I've had them survive that sort of thing.  You need to remove all evidence of decomposition and any pinkish discoloration.  That slight pink discoloration is the moving front of whatever is decomposing the corm.  Once all of that is removed, let the surface dry out for 24 hours and look for blackened, pink or wet areas.  These are all indications you didn't remove all the problem.  There are several things you can treat the cut surface of the corm with like Daconil, Mancozeb or Thiophanate-methyl (here in the US Cleary's 3336) or Captan if you can find any.  I don't know what causes this but it's really common in things that stay dormant too long.  I lost a very large aphyllus this year to something very similar.

Ron McHatton
Central Florida
Zone 9