Re: Steve's pages ARE science

  • Subject: Re: Steve's pages ARE science
  • From: Chad Mayer <chadmayer@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:58:09 -0700 (PDT)

I also wanted to chime in here.  As a newbie, Steves pages are an incredibly valuable resource.  Since he has no obligation to mask his findings and understanding in the obscure and dense language of what is currently accepted as 'scientific literature', he presents an unparalleled resource for the novice, as well as promulgating recent findings and advances in a format that is accessible.  This allows the uninitiated to think more clearly about the subject, and stimulates new thoughts and ideas.  This in turn promotes further inquiry, and serves the purposes of both scientist and hobbyist.
The fact that he is willing to pursue and perform the translation required is remarkable, and admirable.  He takes a fact based approach and investigates the latest info available (which may run counter to the 'conventional wisdom' in the trade), and that sets his pages apart and above many other hobbyist pages.
In my opinion, scientists would do themselves and the world a great favor by promoting their findings in a format that allows the layperson to understand what knowlege has been gained.  To do otherwise runs the risk of continuing the trajectory of anti-science that is currently rising in our society.  I think Steves pages are a great model for communicating what would otherwise be obscure and somewhat sterile knowlege and transforming that knowlege into something enjoyable and useful.

Message: 1