Re: Steve's pages ARE science

  • Subject: Re: Steve's pages ARE science
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:50:37 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Julius, Ted, Steve, et. al.,

Science is a process.  Naming plants is a process that
is on-going.  Steve is an easily accessible source for
information on a selected group of plants that he
grows and has interest in.  That it is available in
such a format at all, is a blessing.  It is not easy
for many people to access this information.  That
Steve and his contributors are willing to volunteer
their time and knowledge is refreshing.

Graff and his publications, Exotica and Tropica,
remind me of Steve and his website.  Graff was
obviously passionate to assemble an encyclopedia of
plants for horticulture with the best information and
photos he could for the time.  If he knew what we know
today, there would not be such a confusion of names.
Julius is correct in pointing out that some people
will refuse to learn and continue to believe that the
world is flat.  Heaven help them.  Steve, in his
website is continuing in the spirit of Graff, with
better information.  In the future, we will obtain
even better information, and so goes the science of
the process.

I wish I had known Steve when I was in Brazil with
Roberto Burle-Marx.  My notes and memories would have
been much more accurate.  Back in those days, many
plants such as Philodendron stenolobum had not been
described...multiply that by dozens of plants and you
can understand my confusion at what I was seeing.  I
still do not know many of the species we saw, some
were difficult to even determine family.    In fact, I
have learned some names only after 30 years.  If we
found something in a non-flowering condition, it was
often impossible to determine the family in some
cases.  Some may remain undescribed...but there are so
many species, so little time...

If I have positive contributions to make to Steve's
aticles, I will continue to do so in the spirit of
science and best available information.