Re: Spring STINKS!

  • Subject: Re: Spring STINKS!
  • From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 23:14:34 -0700 (PDT)

My konjac bloomed and the stench was almost palpable. I had in on one room of the house for a day so I could show some friends. The spathe had little droplets of stench all over it. This was the first flower this tuber produced and it did not let me down. The stench was so bad that after it was moved outside, my room was stained for almost 3 days with the smell. Last year it was softball sized and I grew it into a 7lb monster in one season with the help of some plant growth hormones and high phosphate fertilizer. I was told that the flower would only smell for a day or two. NOT TRUE! :-) Even the shriveled dead flower smelled bad. I'll attach some pictures because it was such a nice specimen. The flower its self was 2feet long. The up close picture shows the stench droplets.