Re: Re : Orontium Pollinators

  • Subject: Re: Re : Orontium Pollinators
  • From: cgdz33a@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 13:57:35 -0400 (EDT)

For a few seasons I was doing some work on a large patch of planted Orontium (now gone) involving an attempt to determine the pollinator(s). I had caged the flower spikes using different grade meshes, then fully covered them and still got close to the same amount of pollination. I eliminated most of the pollinationby using thin gauge copper wire that i spiralled around the base of the spike, preventing the constant trail of snails which i observed on the spikes. Not definitive, but they could be playing a role. If soneone wants to locate sone good patches ahead of next spring id be happy to work with setting up the same protocol and getting this straightened out. May be a good Masters project for a student.
Eric C Morgan