Amorphophallus (not so) titanum!! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 14:46:31 -0500
From: Eduardo Gon=E7alves <>
Subject: Amorphophallus (not so) titanum!!

This message was submitted by "Eduardo Gon=E7alves" <> to=
 list If you forward it back to the list, it will be distribut=
without the paragraphs above the dashed line. You may edit the Subject: lin=
and the text of the message before forwarding it back.

If you edit the messages you receive into a digest, you will need to remove
these paragraphs and the dashed line before mailing the result to the list.
Finally, if you need more information from the author of this message, you
should be able to do so by simply replying to this note.

----------------------- Message requiring your approval -------------------=
Sender: "Eduardo Gon=E7alves" <>

Dear Aroiders,

    I have been off-line lately, but I would like to add some comments=20
about such subject. I agree with Julius and also have seen some very=20
small (and young) aroids flowering. I saw in the field an Anthurium=20
lindmanianum flowering when it was 8cm tall (the usual flowering plants=20
are 50cm tall and some can reach 2m!!!). The same with Philodendron=20
acutatum and Xanthosoma striatipes. If you has done your homework,=20
you=B4re aware that all are somewhat distant related genera. Thus, this=20
behaviour must be widespread in the family. Obviously, we know that=20
bigger plants are most proned to flower than smaller ones, but it isnt a=20
dogma!! Lets remember that Jim=B4s titanums was collected in the wild (I=20
am not shure about it...) and had full genetic variability, because they=20
were seeds. It is possibly that ``precocious`` plants are eliminated in=20
the wild, but this selection do not apply to cultivated material.=20
Wilbert, correct if I am wrong, but I think that the range of=20
morphological variation in A. titanum still is poorly known. Flowering=20
individuals are rare and this range is possibly underestimate. I am not=20
discarding the possibility of a misindentification. In fact, all of your=20
titanum can be another thing, even a undiscribed Amorphophallus, closely=20
related to titanum, collected in fruit and redistributed to the people=20
of the list. Meanwhile, I still think it is a small titanum, playing a=20
trick on all of us. That=B4s why cultivation is one of the best weapon=20
against such narrow interpretations of the taxa. Thanks Kathy, for your=20
important contribution, unmasking things that wild plants hide... And=20
thanks Rob, for your skepticism that keeps science alive!=20

Anxiously waiting for the photos,

>Dear All,
>I did not intend to get involved in this one as I do not grow=20
>sps., but am driven to note that we are dealing with an Aroid here, and=20
>we know (or should know!) Aroids do NOT conform!  I have had seemingly
>"juvinile" plants of several genera bloom at an early age and size, and
>recently a friend had a 5" seedling(?) of Cyrtosperma cuspidispathum=20
>and this is a plant that can get to 7-8ft. tall!!   Amorphophallus=20
>is no exception, and I remember reading somewhere of other older=20
records of
>"undersized" (but not as small as Kathy`s) A. titanums blooming.
>Once again Kathy, congrats on a fantastic feat.  I look forward to=20
>the photos.
>Ok, all you unbelievers!!   I'm officially inviting any aroiders who
>will be in the area next week to come and see A. titanum when it
>will surely open.  You can back me up then to the group!!   We'll take=20
>of photos and eventually make a herbarium specimen out of.
>You haven't convinced me that this is not a miniature inflorescence of
>titanum with your doubts! (by  miniature, I mean about 2 feet tall)
>-Kathy Upton
>University of Missouri

Get Your Private, Free Email at