RE: Propogation of Amorphophallus from Petiole Tissue

  • To: lindsey@mallorn.com
  • Subject: RE: Propogation of Amorphophallus from Petiole Tissue
  • From: Wilbert Hetterscheid <hetter@vkc.nl>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 08:57:46 -0500 (CDT)

King here!

Yes, Julius story has been repeated here. I also once had a broken leaf
and the petiole regenerated a tuber at the base and is now growing fine.
Mind you, I am sure not all species will do this but the ones with very
turgid petioles will (and now all of you wann know which ones I mean,
huh? Well, figure it out yourselves...... I am not going to demolish all
leaves that are up now.....).

Gijs' story is remarkable but represents the same phenomenon. Stress
apparently can induce tuber generation. Who knows, Gijs, maybe these are
retrotransposons that are activated by stress and do their
thing........(this was just showing-off with terms.......).

Cheers all,