Re: Amorhophallus in my neighborhood?

My guess is it is a kojac that starting blooming indoors and the owner was
wise enough to get it out of the house before he thought his freezer had
defrosted with 20 lbs of ground beef in it! I routinely have large flowering
konjacs and can not hold them back from blooming until weather is warmer.
Smaller ones will not send up a leaf until I pot them up and water them, but
flowering ones will do so right from the dry tuber. It is a problem. But I
love the 4 foot wide leaf so I put up with it.

At 10:46 AM 4/9/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>I'm new to all this aroid-ness, but I just had to tell you what I saw
yesterday.  I was walking my dog through my grandma-grandpa type of city
neighborhood, when I was astonished to see an Amorphophallus in bloom.
Right there, in a pot, standing next to the garage.  About 3ft high, dark
maroon.  I think it was A. konjac, is that the right name?  I told you I was
just a beginner.....
>It took me by such surprise- both being in a fuddy duddy type old fashioned
neighborhood, and standing outside in 40-45 deg F weather!  I snuck down the
driveway and sniffed- then wished I had not done so- definitely stinky.
I'll go back today and try to talk to someone or get a picture, although I
hope they moved it- it's now about 38F and has been raining since early last
>Bye for now,
>Susan Cooper
>Racine, WI
Michael Marcotrigiano (email:  marcotrigiano@pssci.umass.edu)
Rm 211 French Hall
Dept. of Plant and Soil Sciences
Univ of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003  USA
voice: 413-545-5227
fax: 413-545-3075 att: Michael Marcotrigiano