Re: Amorphophallus konjac and hardiness

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus konjac and hardiness
  • From: Al Wootten <awootten@NRAO.EDU>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 01:02:13 -0500 (CDT)

I've had A. konjac for a few years now in both Charlottesville (z7) and
Deltaville (z8).  In CV I planted it in good garden soil, but I have only
shade.  It came back on the same schedule as the one in DV but quite a
bit smaller than the ones in DV, which are located in (1)full S sun and
(2) full W sun, in very sandy soil.  All are 2-3' high, but the ones in full
sun look healthier to me.  I was trying to place these where I thought an
understory herbaceous plant might revel, but full temperate sun seems to
do OK by them.  How does light level influence blooming (wish wish)?
What are middle atlantic experiences with bulbifer?  Muelerii?  I haven't
kept these two outside but understand that I might.

Clear skies,
Al
|Al Wootten, Slacktide, Sturgeon Creek at the Rappahannock|
|Astronomer (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/)           |
|other homepage      http://members.tripod.com/~astral    |
|Deltaville, Virginia              (804)776-6369          |