Re: [aroid-l] IAS newsletter

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] IAS newsletter
  • From: "Ron Iles" roniles@eircom.net
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 18:15:50 +0100

Thank you, Elizabeth

Sadly, using Adobe Acrobat as recommended on the IAS Site, with 56k modem &
state of the art PC, downloads of complete low resolution 2001 NLs are
inexorably slow, those of high resolution impossible.

So to all Aroiders, Members & Prospective.

Can "IAS Proceedings" be put in files of most easily accessed one page at a
time?   Maybe then electronic "News" for World Members could be as often as
needed &  available.  As I said in June 2001 it might allow OPEN Dialogue
between ALL Members, not quarterly, not monthly, but even daily.     One
page at a time within a planned folder structure would seem to be most easy
for the producers as well as consumers.  Having a "production chain"
arduously to grind out & print dutifully", "THE" "News"letter, maximum
twelve page quarterly does not seem to be in keeping with the image of a
vibrantly communicating International Aroid Society.

Please could we have a snail mail referendum of those who want Hard Copy?
Please can some of us have day to day AND more historic "Proceedings of the
International Aroid Society" in most easily downloadable weekly/daily single
page files in colour on the IAS site.  To me this would appear to increase
opportunity for sustained major dialogue & understanding the real & dynamic
needs of World Membership.   Also, would it not transfer much of the heavy
work load from the willing shoulders of the few stalwarts, especially in
Florida & nearby who strive so hard & idealistically for the success of the
IAS & to keep it viable.  As I suggested over a year ago in NL2001 (1) is
this the evolutionary road which IAS should take?

There is no SINGLE password protected Site for topical Reports, Dialogue &
Communication between ALL Members so that all proceedings involving  &
between all Members are not "in camera" but fully open & democratic.  Indeed
it might function as the "heart beat" of the Society keeping the body whole,
healthy, growing & most active.

I hope my breaking of "radio silence" on matters about which I felt VERY
strongly proves positive for the International Aroid Society.

R.B.Iles
-----