Re: [aroid-l] Eddoe

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Eddoe
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 20:07:54 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Clarence Hammer <chammer@cfl.rr.com>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 4:12 PM

Dear Friends,

From what I have read (and eaten) there are three main 'kinds/types' of
Colocasia esculenta, the 'dasheen-type' with one large oval or trunk-like
central rhizome/tuber (there are several varieties of this with different
colors/flavors/textures) known in literature as Colocasia esculenta
esculenta.   The second is the  'eddoe-type' with many small oval
tubers/rhizomes produced from the central slim underground portion of the
rhizome (I know of two, maybe more kinds/types of this) which is refered to
in the literature as C. esculenta var. antiquorum or globiffera.    The
third is the kind/type that produces MANY stolons but only small or no
tubers/rhizomes, it occurs in MANY forms of MANY leaf colors, and is used
gastronomically for its leaf production and is cooked/eaten as  spinach-like
dishes and 'wraps'.    Some have less 'itch' to the leaves than others.    I
have read of many seeming 'made-up' names refering to or denoting its
stoloniferous condition, but am not certain if any have scientific standing.
A few years ago (2?) I collected and sent to someone on this list specimens
of two that commonly grow as weeds here in WPB, Florida, one grew on the S.
side of the Kravis Center for the arts and was TALL, about 5 ft., their new
construction has eliminated this stand.     There is also a very large var.
sold by Excelsor gardens here in WPB, it gets to about 6' tall and has a
leaf blade w/ VERY heavy/tough texture, a VERY attractive plant for a large
Hope this is of interest.

>Thanks Asit.  The one in ditches so prevalent here
in central Fla doesn't seem to be a huge grower, altho maybe 'ditch'
conditions and overcrowding
may be stunting them.  Their leaf looks just like the
one you posted with the red dot.  Anyone else have
an input to firm up these identifications???