Re: [aroid-l] images on Aroid-l

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] images on Aroid-l
  • From: Don Martinson llmen@wi.rr.com
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:46:37 -0500

One of the easiest solutions is for folks to learn how to post digital photos on their own server sites. While I cannot speak for overseas, almost every service provider in my area provides some storage 4-8 MB or so, whicht a subscriber can use for a web page or whatever. You do not have to have a web site set up or even to learn html to simply post an image, then posting a link to that photo in an e-mail, leaving it up to each individual whether they wish to look at that link or not

I also hate to be in a position for defending Yahoo groups, but yet I have had few, if any problems. Managing your account for, say, digest vs individual e-mail is much easier that sending somewhat arcane instructions to a listserv. Regarding spam, evidently many are not aware that several months ago, Yahoo changed virtually all individual preferences back to being willing to receive other types of mail, even if you had checked NO when subscribing. Everyone belonging to a Yahoo Group should check your preferences every few weeks. I caught this early, being warned by another group, and I receive virtually no spam.

Aroid-l is lucky in its association with hort.net so that the archives may searched easily. For may other listservs, archive searching can be a real pain.

Don Martinson
Milwaukee, WI

I would vote for no attachments, but perhaps an area where attachments screened for viruses could be posted.

Attachments spread viruses. Those of you unfortunate enough to be using some flavor of Outlook are at high risk. Remember that free is not always the best option with an E-mail program.

People outside the US usually have to pay for online connection time by the minute. Photos are expensive to download.

Photos are not necessarily of interest to all. I'm interested in the stinky aroids but think anthuriums are as interesting as dandelions, bowling, or rap music. Others don't share my opinions. I know it's hard for y'all to believe we don't want to see ALL your photos but it's true.

The cycad list (on Yahoo Groups) permits attachments and almost every week viruses are spread through the list. Some unwary list members have had awful problems. I haven't been troubled by them because I get the digest version of cycads, which comes with no attachments. Plus I don't use Outlook, "the hacker's path to your hard disk"(tm).

cacti_etc does not permit attachments and there is no space for posting them on the Agilent server. People who wish to post photos always seem to find a way to do so someplace, then post the URL in a message to cacti_etc.

Yahoo groups, a barely serviceable but wretched list service (get ready for oceans of spam with Yahoo), allows each list a file area. People upload the file, then compose the message with a statement about the file in question.

Leo
--
Leo A. Martin
Phoenix, Arizona, USA