Re: [aroid-l] From Peru

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] From Peru
  • From: Marc Gibernau gibernau@aurore.cict.fr
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:31:45 +0200

Dear Julius, Jorge and Huw and other Aroiders,

About non-pollinators visiting insects, I know that in Philodendron
solimoesense and melinonii, trigona bees visit 2-d inflorescences to
collect pollen and some resin but they do not damage the inflorescence.

I have paper in press in International Journal of Plant Sciences (November)
about gall-maker chalcid wasps that parasite the seeds of Philodendron
solimoesense. Interestingly they lay their eggs when the floral chamber is
open (not through the spathe) and many (several tens) died trapped when the
spathe wrap tightly around the spadix.

More puzzling in French Guiana, Montrichardia arborescens is pollinated by
mainly Cyclocephala colasi (Dynastid, Scarab).
Contrary to Philodendron, Xanthosoma,..., in Montrichardia there are no
sterile flowers, thus no food rewards for the pollinating beetles.
I've observed that the pollinating beetles ate/chewed the upper part of the
female flowers (a few millimeters) without apparently damaging the seeds.

All the best,

Marc Gibernau