Re: [aroid-l] Globba was: free plants - need name

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Globba was: free plants - need name
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 00:41:04 -0400

Globba!  That's it!  Thank you Alan.  Mine were in plastic bags -
guess they were left over from your place, as they were distributed
at the banquet.  So, I assume what I have is Globba schomburgkii,
which from a Google search, appears to be a type of non-hardy
ginger...flowers look interesting.

Found one site that said they start to go dormant when temps. stay
under 65F and should be brought in to about that temperature - not
less - and watered sparingly for winter while they are dormant.  Is
this what you'd recommend?

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Planting Basics